The Utah 4-H Western Horse Program focuses on teaching youth to work with a project horse throughout the year, and be tested on their equine knowledge. The youth are given the opportunity to show their horses in multiple western disciplines including western horsemanship, showmanship at halter, western pleasure, trail, western riding, and reining. The shows also offer three speed events that may include barrel racing, pole bending, key hole, gymkhana, scurry, and quadrangle. The Western horse program is one of the largest project areas within Utah 4-H.
- Horsemanship Materials
- Host Region Rotation
- Rank Advancement Book
- Region Boundaries
- Statewide Public Arenas
- Test Questions
- Western Show Events Rotation
- Events for the 2019 and 2020 show season for the Individual Show are: Test, Showmanship at Halter, Western Horsemanship, Ranch Riding, Barrels, Poles, and Key-hole.
- Resources for the test for 2019 will be the Horse Science and Horses and Horsemanship books from the 4-H Mall. Contact your county office for copies!
- Resources for the test for 2020 will be based from the Horse Smarts books and will be coming soon!
- Utah 4-H Horse Rule Book - Updated April 2019
- 2018 Official Rule Changes
- Click HERE to submit a rule change proposal!
- Biosecurity at State Horse Events Policy
- Utah 4-H Horse Council Bylaws - updated October 2018
- Ranch Riding
- Two-Handed Pleasure
- Western Equitation
- Western Trail
** Disclaimer: the point breakdowns listed on these sheets are only a resource to help 4-H judges. The final class placings will be at the complete interpretation and discretion of the judge in accordance with the 4-H Horse Rule Book.
- Speed Event Tracking Sheet
This sheet has been created as a helpful tool to track Speed Events and is not required.
2017 Horse Show Results
2016 Individual Western State Results
2015 2-Handed Western State Results
2015 Individual Western State Results
2014 2-Handed Western State Results
2014 Individual Western State Results
Western Horse Council
2nd Vice President
Horse Council Secretary
State 4-H Horse & Livestock Specialist