The Utah 4-H Western Horse Program focuses on teaching youth to work with a project horse throughout the year, and be tested on their equine knowledge. The youth are given the opportunity to show their horses in multiple western disciplines including western horsemanship, showmanship at halter, western pleasure, trail, western riding, and reining. The shows also offer three speed events that may include barrel racing, pole bending, key hole, gymkhana, scurry, and quadrangle. The Western horse program is one of the largest project areas within Utah 4-H.
- Host Region Rotation
- Rank Advancement Book
- Region Boundaries
- Statewide Public Arenas
- Western Horse Shows - test materials
- Additional Program Resources
- Western Show Events Rotation
- Events for the 2019 and 2020 show season for the Individual Show are: Test, Showmanship at Halter, Western Horsemanship, Ranch Riding, Barrels, Poles, and Key-hole.
- Events for the 2019 and 2020 show season for the Two-Handed Show are: Test, Showmanship at Halter, Western Horsemanship,Western Equitation, and Western Trail.
- Study material for the 2020 year for ALL EXHIBITORS will come out of the Utah 4-H Horse Program Study Guide Volume I as well as the Biosecurity at State Horse Events Policy and the Rule Book. You can find the link to download the study guide at the bottom of the page HERE.
- Utah 4-H Horse Rule Book - Updated May 2020
- Official Rule Change Summary for 2020 season
- Click HERE to submit a rule change proposal! Proposals must be in by SEPTEMBER 1st 2020!
- Biosecurity at State Horse Events Policy
- Access a collection of approved patterns HERE.
- Horse show management is encouraged to create their own patterns. Pattern requirements are in the rulebook (number of maneuvers, required maneuvers, etc.).
- Utah 4-H Horse Council Bylaws - updated October 2018
- Ranch Riding
- Two-Handed Pleasure
- Western Equitation
- Western Trail
** Disclaimer: the point breakdowns listed on these sheets are only a resource to help 4-H judges. The final class placings will be at the complete interpretation and discretion of the judge in accordance with the 4-H Horse Rule Book.
- Speed Event Tracking Sheet
This sheet has been created as a helpful tool to track Speed Events and is not required.
2018 Horse Show Results
2017 Horse Show Results
2016 Individual Western State Results
2015 2-Handed Western State Results
2015 Individual Western State Results
2014 2-Handed Western State Results
2014 Individual Western State Results
Western Horse Council
1st Vice President
2nd Vice President
Horse Council Secretary
State 4-H Horse & Livestock Specialist