Triple Crown Horse Classic Events
What is the Triple Crown?
Have you heard of the Kentucky Derby? The King of all Thoroughbred Races? The Triple Crown is a prestigious award given to a three-year-old Thoroughbred who not only wins the Kentucky Derby, but goes on to win a triplet of prestigious races. The Kentucky Derby, The Preakness, and finally the Belmont Stakes. This is so difficult that only 13 horses have ever achieved such an honor, including the spectacular colt, Justify, in 2018!
The purpose of the Triple Crown Series is to increase opportunities for youth to participate in horseless horse events and develop a sense of belonging and mastery.
The horse classics series are open to all 4-H youth grades 3-12.
The Utah 4-H Horse Classic Series, or Triple Crown, is an opportunity for youth to demonstrate mastery in several horse related events. Youth can try to earn the "Triple Crown" or simply the "High Point" award. More details below!
Join us for a Triplet of Horse Classic Contests!
Join us for the 2020 Triple Crown Horse Classic Contests!
- June 12 - 13, 2020 | Southern Region Horse Classic (The Kentucky Derby) - VIRTUALLY Registration now open until June 8th!
- September 11 - 12, 2020 | State Fair Horse Classics (The Preakness) – Salt Lake, UT
- October 16 - 17, 2020 | Horse and Livestock Symposium (The Belmont Stakes 2020 / Kentucky Derby 2021) - Logan, UT
4-H Horse Classic Event Information
- The Horse Classic events are an opportunity for all youth enrolled in a 4-H horse project to come together and compet in a friendly atmosphere with other horse-loving youth.
- State Contests, held at the Horse and Livstock Symposium, serve as the qualifying contest for senior youth hoping to represent Utah 4-H at Western National Roundup in January.
- All contests follow the National Contest Rules. Find the National rules here! Utah 4-H Horse Classic specific rules are listed below.
- Juniors and Intermediates will use the new Utah 4-H Horse Program Study Guide Volume I as their resource. Intermediates will also have select questions from the Illustarted Dictionary. Senior aged youth and open divisions should study from National Curriculum (mainly Horse Smarts).
- Team Contests
- Horse Bowl RULES
- Team OR Individual Contests
- Individual Contests
- Horse Public Speaking RULES
Triple Crown & High Point Individual Information
Youth participants can compete for two seperate events. The Triple Crown is availble to senior aged youth only, and is a prestigious award given to a youth that wins their event at all three Horse Classic events! The High Point Award is given to the participant with the highest culminated points over the three events, and is awarded to the junior, intermediate, and senior with the most points. Details on scoring and rules are below.
These events are scored individually. Even if youth particpate as a team, only their individual scores will be counted towards these awards.
Questions? Contact Jessie Hadfield at email@example.com or Megan Hendrickson at firstname.lastname@example.org