Triple Crown Horse Classic Events
What is the Triple Crown?
Have you heard of the Kentucky Derby? The King of all Thoroughbred Races? The Triple Crown is a prestigious award given to a three-year-old Thoroughbred who not only wins the Kentucky Derby, but goes on to win a triplet of prestigious races. The Kentucky Derby, The Preakness, and finally the Belmont Stakes. This is so difficult that only 13 horses have ever achieved such an honor, including the spectacular colt, Justify, in 2018!
The purpose of the Triple Crown Series is to increase opportunities for youth to participate in horseless horse events and develop a sense of belonging and mastery.
The horse classics series are open to all 4-H youth grades 3-12.
The Utah 4-H Horse Classic Series, or Triple Crown, is an opportunity for youth to demonstrate mastery in several horse related events. Youth can try to earn the "Triple Crown" or simply the "High Point" award. More details below!
Join us for a Triplet of Horse Classic Contests!
Mock or Practice Contests
- April 10 - 11, 2020 | Virtual Horse Classics - open to ALL youth! No 4-H registration required and the event is FREE! Register for
your contests here: https://forms.gle/dovd777mDDy7pwCk7
- Horse Demonstrations, Horse Public Speaking, Horse Quiz Bowl - April 10 starting at 2 p.m.
- Horse Judging, Hippology - April 11 starting at 9 a.m.
- Registration closes April 8th. At that time, contestants will be given time slots for their speeches and demonstrations
- Bowl contests will be scored individually first, and by teams (if applicable) second
- High point awards for each age group! Points are given for each contest so don't miss out and give something new a try!
- All questions, for all age groups, will come out of the new Utah 4-H Horse Program Study Material Volume I.
Join us for the 2020 Triple Crown Horse Classic Contests!
- June 13, 2020 | Southern Region Horse Classic (The Kentucky Derby) - Salina, UT
- September 11 - 12, 2020 | State Fair Horse Classics (The Preakness) – Salt Lake, UT
- October 16 - 17, 2020 | Horse and Livestock Symposium (The Belmont Stakes 2020 / Kentucky Derby 2021) - Logan, UT
4-H Horse Classic Event Information
- Contests Available
- All contests follow the National Contest Rules. Find the rules here!
- Juniors and Intermediates will use the new Utah 4-H Horse Program Study Guide Volume I as their resource. Senior aged youth and open divisions should study from National Curriculum (mainly Horse Smarts).
- Team Contests
- Horse Bowl
- Team OR Individual Contests
- Hippology - enter as team or individual
- Horse Judging
- Horse Demonstrations
- Individual Contests
- Horse Public Speaking
Triple Crown & High Point Individual Information
Youth participants can compete for two seperate events. The Triple Crown is availble to senior aged youth only, and is a prestigious award given to a youth that wins their event at all three Horse Classic events! The High Point Award is given to the participant with the highest culminated points over the three events, and is awarded to the junior, intermediate, and senior with the most points. Details on scoring and rules are below.
These events are scored individually. Even if youth particpate as a team, only their individual scores will be counted towards these awards.
Questions? Contact Jessie Hadfield at email@example.com or Megan Hendrickson at firstname.lastname@example.org